Changes to zone file not occuring

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Fri Jan 19 04:02:26 UTC 2001

> 	ns1.telstra.net has a serial number of 2001010202 for=20
> 	informetech.com.  informetech.com has a serial number
> 	of 2001011806.  ns1.telstra.net is not able to zone
> 	transfer the zone from informtech.com.  Offhand, there
> 	doesn't seem to be any reason why.  informetech.com is
> 	answering authoritativly, so there aren't any errors
> 	in your zone files.  Perhaps there is a firewall blocking
> 	ns1.telstra.net from zone transfering?  I would check
> 	with whoever runs the ns1.telstra.net servers and have
> 	them check their logs for failed zone transfers of
> 	your zone.

check whether

	a) ns1.telstra.net can perform an SOA query successfully?
	b) informetech.com's primary sees the SOA queries
	   from ns1.telstra.net? (turn on query logging)

If a) but not b), ns1.telstra.net may not be performing a serial query
at all. Both BIND4 and BIND8, have a parameter controlling how many=20
serial# queries can be outstanding at any one time. If a server has
a very large number of zones, it may want to schedule a SOA query, but =
can,
due to this parameter, end up not actually perform it for a long time =
(as too many
others are outstanding or in the queue). One thing to try is to increase =
this parameter
(to the high hundreds/low thousands on large machines). In BIND-4 this =
was
a compile-time option, in BIND-8 this is an option in the named.conf =
file
("serial-queries").

BIND-9 uses a different method to queue/manage serial# queries and this =
does not
apply.=20

So if ns1.telsra.net is running BIND8, this may be something they
might try to tune.

Just a guess though...