Two IP Addresses for one host

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 20 00:53:05 UTC 2001

If you control all of the nameservers that the clients would be using to
access this host, you could create multiple A records for the name and define
a "fixed" rrset-order on those nameservers for that name, so that the address
list will always be given out in a particular order. Your clients should be
smart enough to automatically fail over, but it may take a little while for
them to do so. Depending on the application, this timeout may be
configurable.

Another option is to just have 1 A record and change it (possibly using
Dynamic Update from a script) when the preferred access method is
unavailable. The NOTIFY mechanism should ensure quick propagation of such a
change to the slaves; if you have stealth slaves, don't forget to add them to
the also-notify.

- Kevin