Strange DNS lookup behavior

mike miller mikem at ndtel.com
Mon Jan 22 14:48:43 UTC 2001

Opps, I hit the send button too soon.  Here is the post I made last
week, haven't heard any recommendations yet??

The sparc dns server is setup as the master while the intel boxes are
slaves.
The following is typical of any of the three name servers:

[root at ndtc3500 /tmp]# nslookup travelnewsletter.com
Server:  ns.stellarnet.com
Address:  209.74.65.10

*** ns.stellarnet.com can't find travelnewsletter.com: Non-existent
host/domain
[root at ndtc3500 /tmp]# nslookup travelnewsletter.com 134.129.111.111
Server:  ns1.NoDak.edu
Address:  134.129.111.111

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    travelnewsletter.com
Address:  216.242.58.254

Only the off site name sever will resolve the query.  If I restart named
sometimes it will resolve the above example but then it quits resolving
it.
This is named logging output:
20-Jan-2001 06:32:18.924 default: info: ns_forw:
query(travelnewsletter.com) All possible A RR's lame
20-Jan-2001 10:42:20.066 default: info: ns_forw:
query(travelnewsletter.com) All possible A RR's lame
Other domains that the same or similar logging (lame-servers: info: Lame
server on 'nancysnotions.com' (in 'nancysnotions.com'?):
[12.127.16.67].53 'RMTU.MT.RS.ELS-GMS.ATT.NET

There are a few other domains that I am also having problems with:
womensforum.com
edventures.com
wilnet1.com
nancysnotions.com
mailzilla.net
myrealbox.com
silverclicks.com
classicorclunker.com
esperanto.nu
and many others... which i can get to resolve by using some one else's
name server.
Most other domains resolve okay, the domains that These servers are
authoritative all work and all of the popular domains like yahoo, cnn,
microsoft, netscape all seem to be fine...????

Mike