Forwarders and delegating

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 22 20:50:15 UTC 2001

In article <94hm91$1cs at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Sebastien Gemme  <seb at speng.space.gc.ca> wrote:
>	I observed that I'm not able to make delegating work when I have
>forwarders.  Even if I add the delegated zone server to my forwarders.
>
>What I'd like to know is: is there a way to make zone delegation work with
>forwarders ?

When you configure forwarders, NS records are ignored -- all queries that
can't be satisfied out of authoritative data or the cache are sent to the
forwarders.

However, you can override the default forwarders for specific domains.  So
you can do:

zone "mydomain.com" {
  type master;
  file "db.mydomain.com";
  forwarders {};
};

This will prevent use of forwarders for all subdomains of mydomain.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA