How to access Sun from outside?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 23 03:16:35 UTC 2001

It's difficult to tell from your post whether this is a DNS issue or just
a basic connectivity issue. Can clients connect to the external address of
your box using just the IP address? If they can't, then this is almost
certainly not a DNS issue. You'd need to work with your network provider
on that problem.

If they can connect by IP address, and you want them to be able to connect
by name, then this is where DNS comes into play. But this -- bind-users --
is a list about *operating* DNS; specifically a list about operating
DNS using the BIND software package. If you just want to *use* a domain
name, then you basically have 2 choices: 1) hang that name off of someone
else's domain (e.g. sandysbox.example.com or www.sandysbox.example.com),
assuming you happen to know someone who would agree to this arrangement,
or 2) register your own, unique domain name. In the case of (1), talk to
the owners/administrators of the domain. In the case of (2) I'd suggest
just doing a search for "domain registrar" in the search engine of your
choice. Domain registration has recently become a booming industry, so
there is a wide range of registrars to choose from. Read their sales
literature and FAQ's carefully to see if the registrar offers the services
you need at the price you're looking for. Many of the registrars these
days offer DNS hosting, or even web or mail hosting, in addition to just
the "bare bones" registration service. You might be interested in some of
those services, depending on exactly what you plan to do with your Sun box
once you get it working on the Net.

If and when you you decide you want to run your own DNS, check out
http://www.dns.net/dnsrd (the DNS Resources Directory) first. We'll
probably still be here if you run into problems...

- Kevin