Thrown in the DNS deep end

Peter Rose peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 23 15:54:34 UTC 2001

Dale -

Yes, the O'Reilly book is a must (got me going from zero knowledge), but
for transferring your domains to your own dns you need to

a)change the nameserver entries at the appropriate registrar (Network
Solutions, Nominet or whoever) to your new dns - there is a usually a
form on their websites to instigate this.

b)tell your current hosting company what you're doing and to remove your
domains from their forward dns once you're all set.

c)Make sure your hosting company either carries the reverse dns entries
for your ip's in their zonefile or delegates your block to your
nameserver.

Sorted?

Peter Rose
London UK

In message <ba3p6ts615th4hbontk43lc8fh95gb5qu9 at 4ax.com>, Dale Walker
<dale at sorted.org> writes

>I've just been thrown in the deep end regarding DNS and stuff. I've
>been a systems administrator for several small companies that didn't
>require any messing about with DNS. I've now just started at a place
>where new domains are being added on an almost monthly basis.
>
>The company has an off-site fm server at an ISP. Whenever a new domain
>is added/transferred we've been getting the ISP to change the details
>for us (at a significant cost) but due to several miscommunication and
>other problems with delays in getting things working satisfactorily, I
>thought it's time I learnt how to do things myself (or at least find
>out enough to make talking to our hosting people less painful).
>
>Our server is already set up as a DNS server so the hard work is
>already done but as I'm completely new to this area, I need a bit of
>help as I need to add new domains and transfer existing domains to it.
>
>Firstly, is there any decent reference material for people totally new
>to DNS? I'm after a good concise 'idiots guide' but a decent, proper
>reference would be handy too.
>
>Secondly, (not sure if this is really on-topic but don't know where
>else to ask) I've been having lots of communication problems with the
>ISP regarding transfer of existing domains so when asking for a domain
>transfer, who do I need to contact, in what order and what details are
>needed? We don't just have local domains (com/org/co.uk) either. We
>have some .pr and some .tv's. so would that will complicate things
>further?
>
>For example...
>
>We've already registered the domain 'blahblah.co.pt' with a primary
>DNS entry 'ns0.stupidhostisp.com'. Nothing else has been set up for
>this domain.
>
>We want all services (www, e-mail, ftp, etc) mapped to our server
>'ourserver.com' (primary dns = ns0.ourserver.com). We've already got a
>spare IP address associated with our server we can use so that's not
>an issue.
>
>I assume I contact the registrar of 'blahblah.co.pt' but what do I ask
>them to do?
>
>Do I also need to get in contact with 'stupidhostisp.com' (or anyone
>else) to let them know anything or can I do all the other changes
>myself. If so, what do I have to do?

>| Dale Walker                       London Techno Events         |
>| dale at sorted.org                   london at sorted.org            |
>| London, UK                        http://www.sorted.org/london |

Cyberscreen Internet Services.
25, Oak Hill,