nslookup fails after a time

Veatch, David David.Veatch at eScout.com
Tue Jan 23 18:22:50 UTC 2001

Yo,

Greetings all, brand new to the list... hope you don't mind a relative
newbie question.  I don't mind an RTFM (in fact, I have a coffee mug with
those letters on them ;), as long as you give me some direction as to the
which and where of the RTFM... O'Reilly's book is assumed. :)

On to the question.

I'm confused by an odd, yet frequent occurrence on a FreeBSD box of mine.
After an undetermined amount of time, and for an undetermined reason, a
certain domain ceases to resolve.   Once I restart named (`ndc restart`),
the domain resolves again just fine, but after awhile, invariably, it fails
to resolve with "*** localhost can't find [domain-name]: Non-existent
host/domain".  There could very well be other unresolvable names at this
time, but this is the only one I've identified.

I have two boxes behind a Netgear RT311 router, both running the same
version of named (named 8.2.3-T5B) on the same os (FreeBSD 4.1.1) with the
same patch levels... identical in almost every way except user accounts and
some perl modules (one serves as a dev box, and the other as a prod box).
On the dev box, the domain in question always resolves just fine, but on the
prod box, if fails after a time.  The dev box serves as internal DNS for
several other boxes on the internal network, while the prod box serves as
external DNS.  The router sends the relevant requests to the external box.

The prod box also serves several friends with shell and POP access via ssh
and qpopper.  It's one of these friends that has problems frequently b/c
they're coming from the domain in question.

If someone can just give me some clues that could lead me to an answer, I'd
greatly appreciate it.

] David <- hunkering down with O'Reilly tonight