ISP reject the reverse delegation !

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Jan 24 02:59:46 UTC 2001

> Hi,
>=20
> I get 8 class C IP addresses from ISP with the mask 255.255.255.248.
> But my ISP reject to delegate the reverse in-addr.arpa. to me.
> So, my reverse lookup failed.
> It only allow me to specify each IP with a particular host name=20
> in their zone file, e.g.
>=20
> 192.168.0.1    ns1.domain.com

Ahem. Just trying to clarify:
Have they given you addresses in this range (192.168/16)? These are
private addresses (RFC1918) and no-one *can* delegat these to you as =
they are
not meant to be visible in th epublic Internet.

If they gave you real public IP addresses, see below..

> 192.168.0.2    ns2.domain.com
> 192.168.0.3    host3.domain.com
> 192.168.0.4    host4.domain.com
>=20
> That means the whole class C in-addr.arpa. zone only can be manage by =
ISP.
> It won't delegate classless in-addr.arpa. zone to another.
>=20
> Could you give me some advice in order to solve that problem ?

a) Hammer them with frequent changes and hope they learn to delegate for =
their
own convenience? Complain loudly if changes take too long to make and
filterto their secondaries. Complain loudly on any mistake they make in =
editing
their file.

or=20
b) find a better ISP