Microsoft Problems :-(

janl at linpro.no janl at linpro.no
Wed Jan 24 16:44:58 UTC 2001

"Klinkefus, David S" <DSKlinkefus at midamerican.com> tastet:
> Microsoft Web sites suffer large-scale blackout

I think we can disregard the "ICANN fubared" theory.

microsoft.com           NS      DNS7.CP.MSFT.NET
microsoft.com           NS      DNS6.CP.MSFT.NET
microsoft.com           NS      DNS4.CP.MSFT.NET
microsoft.com           NS      DNS5.CP.MSFT.NET

This matches whois ("whois microsoft.com" is somewhat entertaining
btw).  Furthermore:

DNS4.CP.MSFT.NET        A       207.46.138.11
DNS5.CP.MSFT.NET        A       207.46.138.12
DNS6.CP.MSFT.NET        A       207.46.138.20
DNS7.CP.MSFT.NET        A       207.46.138.21

Of course I don't know anything about their network topology, but
it looks like their nameservers are located at one or perhaps two
locations within the msft.net.  Traceroute to all of them stops at
the same place, one jump of alter.net, so they all share one point
of failure it looks like.

This does not tell us anything about what failed and how though.

Nicolai