Host (nameserver) registration. WAS Re: Rookie Question

stuart nichols stu at stac.state.tx.us
Wed Jan 24 20:34:14 UTC 2001

From: Peter Rose <peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com>,

  <dwilliam44 at yahoo.com> writes
> > My friend has his own DNS running at home, he was told that the
> > last step was to register his DNS so the "root" servers "see"
> > his machine.  He/We have tried to find info on the net on how to
> > go about "registering" his DNS server so that it is operational
> > on the "internet".  I hope this is enough
> > info for someone to help.

> I hope I'm not being dense, but is your friend running his own DNS
> on an internal home network only, or has he got IP's allocated
> from his ISP?

I think he is asking about "host" registration, which is really
registration of a nameserver itself, as in:

  $ whois -h whois.internic.net ns.stac.state.tx.us

  Whois Server Version 1.3

  Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be
  registered with many different competing registrars. Go to
  http://www.internic.net for detailed information.

     Server Name: NS.STAC.STATE.TX.US
     IP Address: 204.64.176.67
     Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
     Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
     Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com

which is one of my nameservers.  There is a registration
form at http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/catalog/nameserver/
where he can register his nameserver.

--

stu
office: (512) 463-7601

stuart nichols
State Technology Assessment Center
Texas Department of Information Resources
300 West 15th Street
Suite 1300
Austin  TX  78701