long time for the resolv.conf

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 25 16:46:36 UTC 2001

In article <94pi1p$qr8 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jérôme Meyer <jerome.meyer at pax.ch> wrote:

>I have configured two DNS, a primary and a secondary.
>My file resolv.conf is like that:
>
>domain intern.nuts.com
>nameserver 156.115.200.30
>nameserver 156.115.200.70
>
>Now, when my first DNS comes down, I make a nslookup on a name, I see
>on the screen:
>>nslookup -debug machine.intern.nuts.com
>;;res_mkquery(0, 30.200.115.156.in-addr.arpa, 1, 12)
>timeout (5 sec)
>timeout (10 sec)
>timeout (20 sec)
>... until timeout (40 sec) and then, he takes the second address and
>resolve the address.
>and when I make a same nslookup again, he takes the sames times!!!
>
>Are a another solutions to reduce the timeout?
>It is normal that the solutions take a long time?
>It is possible to configure this timeout??

No, it's not possible to configure the timeouts.  However, be aware that
nslookup uses a different timeout strategy than the real resolver.
Nslookup performs multiple queries to the first server before trying the
second server, but the resolver tries each server once before going back to
the first server with a longer timeout.

Did you think to look up "timeouts" in the index of the DNS & BIND book?
It explains all of this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA