2 domains in 1 zone file...how?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 25 18:23:36 UTC 2001

In article <94pq87$nn at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jamie P. Bontrager <jamie at kctc.net> wrote:
>If I have domain-a.com and domain-b.com that both point to the same ip and
>website, is there a way to combine zone files for both domains in bind 8?  I
>cannot find any reference to this in the O'Reilly book on bind.

You can do it by not putting any fully-qualified names in the zone file.
So instead of:

>domain-a.com     IN      NS      ns1.domain.com.
>domain-b.com     IN      NS      ns1.domain.com.

use:

@ IN NS ns1.domain.com.

You don't need to repeat entries, like you did in your attempt.  Just make
everything relative, and when the file is read into domain-a.com this
suffix will be appended to everything, and when it's read into domain-b.com
that suffix will be appended.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA