domain problem - is it the dns?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 26 19:27:06 UTC 2001

In article <94sgut$sj at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Lee Friend  <lee at leefriend.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I'm having a problem with a domain name that show different web pages
>to different internet users.
>
>Let me explain.  I got my domain name www.irna-uk.com hosted on
>separate ISP to my web site. The domain name is being forward to
>http://www.amita-uk.com/irna/index.htm.  Now out of 5 people who try to
>access this site, 3 people get the correct page, and the other 2 people
>get another page which is http://www.amita-uk.com/index.asp.
>
>HAve you come up or experienced this problem before?

Are those other 2 using old browser versions?  It looks like this is a
name-based virtual server, so it depends on the browser to send the "Host:
www.irna-uk.com" request-header, so that it knows which virtual host
they're accessing.  Without that, brings up a default web site.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA