nessus scan reveals vulnerability on port domain (53/tcp)

Rick Updegrove dislists at updegrove.net
Sat Jan 27 07:00:08 UTC 2001

Hello, below is a nessus generated scan which suggests that I "Restrict
recursive queries to the hosts that should use this nameserver (such as
those of the LAN connected to it).  If you are using bind 8, you can do this
by using the instruction 'allow-recursion' in the 'options' section of your
named.conf

I tried at least 3 ways of adding that - all of which errored on restart.
Does anyone have a working example?   Thanks. <By the way I upgraded the
version already to the reccomended upgrade version>

Vulnerability found on port domain (53/tcp)

  The remote BIND server, according to its
  version number, is vulnerable to the ZXFR
  bug that allows an attacker to disable it
  remotely.

  Solution : upgrade to bind 8.2.2-P7
  Risk factor : High

[ back to the list of ports ]
Warning found on port domain (53/tcp)

  The remote name server allows recursive queries to be performed
  by the host running nessusd.

  If this is your internal nameserver, then forget this warning.

  <This was a remote scan to my nameserver>

  If you are probing a remote nameserver, then it allows anyone
  to use it to resolve third parties names (such as www.nessus.org).
  This allows hackers to do cache poisoning attacks against this
  nameserver.

  Solution : Restrict recursive queries to the hosts that should
  use this nameserver (such as those of the LAN connected to it).
  If you are using bind 8, you can do this by using the instruction
  'allow-recursion' in the 'options' section of your named.conf

  If you are using another name server, consult its documentation.

  Risk factor : Serious

Information found on port domain (53/tcp)

  The remote bind version is : 8.2.2-P5

  < I did upgrade this >