BIND for other applications

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Mon Jan 29 05:40:02 UTC 2001

 Get the source, write the code.
 Source available from www.isc.org.

%
% if i may just ask "how does one define a new class of data and add support
% for it to BIND". thank you.
%
% -----Original Message-----
% From: Barry Margolin [mailto:barmar at genuity.net]
% Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 3:01 AM
% To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
% Subject: Re: BIND for other applications
%
% In article <94s8v9$qu3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
% Schmidt, Val <Val.Schmidt at qwest.com> wrote:
% >My question is simply this:  Could BIND be used as the engine behind a
% >distributed, hierarchical database that contained records other than domain
% >names and IP addresses?  I'm not proposing to extend the DNS system - I'm
% >proposing to use the same software to create a semi-private system with a
% >different data set.
%
% Sure.  You can define a new class of data, and add support for it to BIND.
%
% >Further questions:
% >
% >In your opinion, how well does the DNS system perform today.  For those of
% >you with significant operational experience, how frequently do you think a
% >user is unable to resolve a host name, and what do you think is the most
% >frequent cause (server traffic?, mismanaged dns data?)
%
% I suspect that most problems are due to server configuration errors or
% registration problems.  Except in extreme environments, performance is
% rarely a problem.  BIND is quite efficient as long as the server has enough
% RAM to hold the entire cache; if it doesn't, though, BIND thrashes like
% crazy and performance stinks.
%
% >Finally, I am unable to find the capability in BIND to only allow queries
% >into the database from specific resolvers.  While it wouldn't seem
% >particularly useful in the public DNS, it would be useful in my
% application.
% >Is there some functionality there that I'm unaware of?
%
% Isn't this what the "allow-query" option in named.conf does?
%
% --
% Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
% Genuity, Burlington, MA
% *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
% Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
% group.
%
%
%