Reverse lookup records held by ISP, I need to control them...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 30 01:18:34 UTC 2001

I see that others have already responded to your message. I just have a
couple of additional comments:

1) You seem to be a little confused about the naming of reverse
records: if you want to create a reverse record for the address
198.162.0.1, it should be called 1.0.162.198.in-addr.arpa, not
198.162.0.1.in-addr.arpa. The order of the octets is inverted for reverse
records.

2) I sure hope you haven't mistyped 192.168.0.1 as 198.162.0.1, because if
you have, then you're going about this all wrong. 192.168/24 is a
"private" (RFC 1918) address range. You should only be using it
internally. No-one on the Internet should be able to get to 192.168/24
addresses anyway, so there shouldn't be any legitimate need for them to
reverse-resolve them. If you only want 192.168/24 addresses to resolve
*internally*, then define your own 168.192.in-addr.arpa zone on your
internal servers, along with any subzones you wish. There's no reason to
get your provider involved.

- Kevin