Bind forwarders

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Tue Jan 30 16:47:51 UTC 2001

There doesn't seem to be much documentation on the use of Forwarders.

For example, in our situation, we have PoPs all over the US which are
running their own full secondary DNS.

We've are regularly subjected to Visual Networks evaluations, etc., and we
thought that our DNS performance would improve if we were to utilize
forwarders within our own network cloud.  So, we have primary servers on
east and west coasts that are rigged with lots of RAM, etc.

I wanted to get more of an idea about the forwarder algorithm.  I know it's
supposed to be "better" in Bind-9.  And the ideal application of a
forwarder setup.

For example, I thought that if we had different PoPs forward to other busy
PoPs before our Primary DNS, that it might perform better.  But that
becomes difficult to manage.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

_F