Windows 2K DC A Record Visible When Running Nslookup against domain name

Jim D. Kirby jdkirby at bluebunny.com
Tue Jan 30 20:57:43 UTC 2001

Regarding the A records for hte Win2K DCs.....

In our test, we only populated A records for the DCs like this:

     dc01.anl.gov   IN  A   192.168.1.11
     dc02.anl.gov   IN  A   192.168.4.10

and left the A records associated with the domain itseld to point at another
host (the DNS machine itself).  We did not have problems with clients
finding a DC.

Barry indicates that the Win2K clients use the A record associated with the
domain (anl.gov   IN  A   192.168.1.11) to find their DC.  My understanding
is, that Win2K client first gets it address DNS information from DHCP (or
statically or via DHCPINFORM; no matter which).  Armed with DNS information,
it then does a DNS lookup for a particular SRV records
(_ldap.First-Default-Sites._tcp._msdcs.anl.gov or something similiar) to
find
the ldap, kereberos, global catalog and other services.

This should mean that the DC-to-domain records are not needed.  We do not
allow WindK DCs to update the primary zone so we do not have domain A
records pointing to DC addesses and it seems to work well.

Is there any reason why this setup would cause us problems?  I guess it's
possible that legacy WINS could  be masking issues.
jk