Compile path in syslog

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jan 30 21:22:45 UTC 2001

    Steven> Anyway, looking in my daemon log I see that when the named
    Steven> daemon starts, it shows the entire path to the binary
    Steven> where it was compiled (ie /home/myid/bind8.2.3/src/named)
    Steven> Is there a way to suppress that?

Er, compile the software in another directory? Or edit tmp_version.c,
recompile it and then relink named?

    Steven> because I'm running
    Steven> chroot, I did not run make install, I just moved the
    Steven> binary by hand after running make all.  Would that be why?

No. It's got nothing to do with how the software was or wasn't
installed. The message you see in the logs is the sccs/rcs version
identifier which is compiled into the executable. This is how some
people find out the version of BIND they're running as well as when
and where it was compiled. Version identifiers in executables are a
Good Thing, so why do you feel the need to suppress them? Do you do
this for every other program that's installed on your computer?

    Steven> Does make install do more than copy files and set perms?

No. Well it might strip off the symbol table. What makes you think it
would or could more than that?

Oh and please DON'T put "nospam" cruft in your email address. This is
VERY anti-social on any mailing list such as bind-users, especially
when you want people to reply to you. It doesn't prevent or reduce
spam either. Even the most stupid spammer knows how to delete "nospam"
from address headers and get a working address. They even have tools
for this. So all you achieve by this is to annoy anyone who takes the
trouble to answer your questions.