PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jan 31 21:20:28 UTC 2001

	I am also very concerned.  Does this mean no more open
source for bind?  Part of the attractiveness of open source
software is the sunshine effect in that it is much more difficult
to sneak something by the public if everybody and his/her dog
can potentially read the code and speak up.

	Our working group at Oklahoma State University sings the
praises of bind and other ISC products because it is basically or
was, basically built out in the open and relied on good design to
survive.

	Another thing that makes this software so attractive is
that we don't have to say, "Mother, may I?" every time we do
something.  We are or were not hampered by user licenses and all
those other smelly artifacts which make more non-productive work
for those of us in the trenches.

	Please tell us we have misunderstood and that this was
all a mistake.

Paul A Vixie writes:

>Requirements of bind-members will be:
>
>	1. Not-for-profit members can have their fees waived

Gee, that's nice.

>	2. Use of PGP (or possibly S/MIME) will be mandatory

	For what?

>	3. Members will receive information security training

	Nothing wrong with that.

>	4. Members will sign strong nondisclosure agreements

	About what, for crying out loud?!

	I guess I should do a traceroute to see if all this stuff
comes from Redmond, these days.

	Please, explain this and let's hope we are being
alarmist.

Martin McCormick 405 744-7572   Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information services Data Communications Group