win2k dropping local DNS server from server list if server goes down?

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 2 06:48:10 UTC 2001

This is not a BIND issue per se but I didn't know where else to ask.

I have BIND 9 running on a RH7.1 machine and it seems to be doing just fine.
The server is connected to a LAN to server win2k machines. The problem I
have is when adding the DNS server to tmy win2k TCP/IP settings.

Under win2k you can configure it to use more than one DNS server in order of
preference. When I add my local DNS server to the list, and have only this
local DNS server in the list everything works fine. If I add a secondary
server (my ISP's DNS server) it's still ok.

The problem occurs if I shut down my local DNS server and try to access a
local site byt name. Naturally it can't be found. Then I start up named
again. But eventhough named is now up my local DNS entries aren't resolved.
Windows 2000 seems to now bypass my local DNS server and go straight to the
secondary (since I can still resolve Internet addresses, but not local
ones).

I've tried rebooting the machine, flushing the local resolver cache but
nothing helps. the only thing that helps is removing my ISP's DNS server
from the DNS server list. Is this a win2k bug?

Thanks!

Jc