BIND 9.1.2 and TinyDNS???

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Mon Jul 2 17:19:15 UTC 2001

I have been staying out of this thread, but I feel obligated to reply
to this. Helpful software which helps you get the work done faster is
one thing - but I fail to see the reason for this. "Combined A and PTR
records"? I want my reverse data separate from my forward data, and
definitely don't want _server_ software to start messing around with
what it is _serving_, period. It should serve exactly what it is told
to, no more, no less.

Automatic serial numbers? You mean djbdns hooks into my text editor
and automatically changes the SOA record whenever I change the zone
data? In one case, fairly recently, I did modify my zone data but
deliberately chosed not to increment the SOA serial field. Why not?
Simply because the changes were almost purely rearrangements and
reformatting to make the zone file more readable. No use in messing
with the slaves for that.

I was a bit wary of djbdns before from what I have heard, and am no
less so now. I want a server program to do what it is being told, and
not interpret those things itself. If I say `foo.bar' instead of
`foo.bar.', there might be a reason - even if I have a zone `bar'.

Michael Kjörling

On Jul 2 2001 16:56 -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> Jim Reid writes:
> > there are a bunch of other factors to consider before changing ANY
> > software, like a migration strategy, testing, changes to standard
> > operating procedures (monitoring, DNS changes, etc), software
> > maintenance, OS updates and patches, documentation and so on.
>
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/frombind.html explains in detail how to move a
> typical site from BIND to djbdns, and how to make BIND-style changes to
> your djbdns data. The procedure includes tests to confirm that the data
> published by BIND matches the data that will be published by djbdns.
>
> The page also explains several ways that djbdns can help you manage your
> data: automatic serial numbers, combined A and PTR records, automatic
> final dots, etc.
>
> Software maintenance is certainly an issue for buggy packages like BIND.
> It isn't an issue for djbdns: the software simply works.
>
> ---Dan

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****