load balacing

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jul 2 18:30:32 UTC 2001

At 6:58 PM +0200 7/2/01, e-o-f wrote:

>  Does anybody know how can I have two dns in load balancing?

	It depends on what you mean by "load balancing", and for what
kind of service.

	If you're talking about having two authoritative servers sharing
the load for answering queries about hosts and subdomains within your
zone(s), then that will happen automatically.  Just set them both up,
make sure that they are both listed in the delegation from your
parent zone, and all the other nameservers out there in the world
should automatically handle contacting one or the other or both
nameservers, as appropriate.

	In this case, you'll probably want to set up one machine as the
"master", and the other as the "slave".

>  So.. I must configure every time both nameservers? on not?

	When you add new zones, yes.  You would have to make changes to
the configuration file on both master and slave.  However, to make
changes within a zone, all you have to do is make sure that the
serial number is incremented -- the master and slave should
automatically handle everything else themselves.

>  How can I read some information about...
>  I bought DNS and BIND from O'reilly but it doesn't explain...

	This is definitely the book to buy.  Did you get 4th edition?  If
you don't understand it the first time, it may help to go back and
read it again.

	Oh, and please don't use "NOSPAM" garbage in your return address.
The newsgroup you posted this message to is gatewayed to a mailing
list, and having this garbage in your address is anti-social and
makes it more difficult for people to reply to you with the kind of
information you've requested.

	Moreover, all address scanning tools I know of are intelligent
enough to remove all "NOSPAM" type tags I've ever seen, so it doesn't
do any good anyway.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */