short name resolution

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 3 22:43:39 UTC 2001

Short names are evil. Use FQDNs for everything. The sooner you make this
"culture change" and re-form people's habits, the better off you'll be. Trust
me on this. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get, and the harder it
will be to change. About 8 or 9 years ago I started weaning our IT-supported
customers off short names, and the process is nearing completion. Meanwhile, in
the Engineering realm, we're only just now starting to talk about phasing out
short names. That might take a decade or so...

- Kevin