chroot question

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Thu Jul 5 09:01:43 UTC 2001

Only one kind of chroot jail, but the book decribes in a particularly
economical way.   The various web resources can be confusing and the
process is somewhat platform-dependent.  So if you tell us what platform
you're using somebody else may have already done it.

Marc TXK
The views expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of
the organisation providing the mail address from which this message was
sent

                    "lg042-5"
                    <lg042-5 at dial.o        To:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
                    leane.com>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     chroot question
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    04/07/2001
                    15:50
                    Please respond
                    to "lg042-5"

I may have all wrong, please let me know :
I read some documents about building a "chroot jail" for Bind.
They describe a more or less complex process creating a completely new
environment for Bind.

I also found information in O'reilly's DNS and Bind about a kind of
build-in
chroot.
Is it something different? Which one should I use?

Is there really 2 kinds of chroot when speaking about Bind : the built-in
chroot and the chroot jail ?
I have understood that the chroot jail is redefining an entire environment
(file system, directories, librairies...) for named and named-xfer.