looking for BIND zone constraints

Dykes Greg-FGD008 Greg.Dykes at motorola.com
Thu Jul 5 14:41:39 UTC 2001

Need a little help in documenting the actual size constraints on a zone
file. Is there a limit on the number of RRs in a zone file? If so, what is
it?
Are there any other "gotchas"? I have heard that UDP and even TCP have
limits. Can anyone help?

Reason I asking these question is that I'm considering using DNS to store
many TXT records under a host name for our system's unique application. Our
client would do a query on the hostname and "get back" the large list of TXT
RRs. In testing, we are seeing some fragmentation and other problems that
prevent us from getting back the entire configured zone dataset.

Thanks,

-- Greg