looking for BIND zone constraints

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 5 16:44:25 UTC 2001

Dykes Greg-FGD008 wrote:

> Need a little help in documenting the actual size constraints on a zone
> file. Is there a limit on the number of RRs in a zone file? If so, what is
> it?
> Are there any other "gotchas"? I have heard that UDP and even TCP have
> limits. Can anyone help?

> Reason I asking these question is that I'm considering using DNS to store
>   many TXT records under a host name for our system's unique application. Our
>
>   client would do a query on the hostname and "get back" the large list of TXT
>   RRs.

Look harder. DNS is not particularly well-suited to generic database
applications, particularly ones in which a lot of data is stored under a single
identifier. The DNS transaction model is more oriented towards relatively-short
questions and relatively-short responses. That's what it's optimized for.

Try LDAP or some SQL-based RDBMS.

> In testing, we are seeing some fragmentation and other problems that
> prevent us from getting back the entire configured zone dataset.

No surprise there.