stealth server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jul 5 19:49:30 UTC 2001

In article <9i2ft4$o7i at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Georg Kreyerhoff  <georg at kreyerhoff.de> wrote:
>Another (IMHO more sensible) configuration would be to set up the hidden
>DNS-server as the master server, but only the slaves at the ISP having
>NS-records pointing to them.

This is often called "silent primary"; I prefer to call it "hidden
primary", but the former term seems to be more common.

This is only "more sensible" if you have a sysadmin competent to run a
master nameserver.  In my experience, this is pretty rare.  75% of the work
I do these days is notifying our customers of problems with their master
servers.  Windows 2000 is now my least favorite piece of Microsoft
crapware, as the DNS server that it comes with seems to have a bug that
causes serial numbers to drop back occasionally, and we have to notify our
customers that zone transfers have stopped (I suspect that when it
increments the serial# due to a dynamic DNS change, it doesn't update it in
the Registry like it does when you make some other change to the zone, and
when the server is rebooted it reverts to the last serial# that was stored
there).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA