stealth server

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jul 5 23:16:30 UTC 2001

At 4:15 PM -0400 7/5/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>  Hmmm... I've never heard "silent primary" before. I call mine a
>  "hidden master".

	I called mine a "hidden master", too.

>  When it's AD-integrated, Win2K doesn't care about the serial number
>of a zone,
>  since it has no effect on replication amongst AD/Win2K servers. And it's a
>  debatable point whether the DNS protocol actually *requires*
>  incrementation[*] of the serial number for every change, when AXFR/IXFR
>  is not being used for replication.

	Uh, yes.  Every change to the zone requires a change to the
serial number.  This is actually one of the things that killed
lbnamed.pl, and can cause real issues with using nsupdate too
frequently on versions of BIND that support it.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */