Bind & Win 2k question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Jul 6 13:56:02 UTC 2001

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> replied to a posting:

>If you use Active Directory, however, then things get a little more
>complicated. For a small number of DCs, you could snarf the
>NETLOGON files (I'm pretty sure that's what they're called) that Active
>Directory spits out and manually enter the SRV records, etc. from those
>files into your static zone(s). Then you wouldn't have to enable Dynamic
>Update at all. But you would have to keep those records constantly in
>synch with the Domain Controller NETLOGIN files, which could be a
>maintenance nightmare.

I have the feeling that one can successfully take the netlogon file
from the W2k DC and FTP that file to a BIND server for $INCLUDE
processing.  The records in the netlogon file will not be changing
much.  If the DC is going offline, then I think that the netlogon
process will unregister the SRV records in DNS; it will re-register
them when the DC comes back online.  Every two hours (or is it one
hour?) the DC will build DDNS packets to re-register its SRV records
just in case they were dropped from DNS for some unknown reason.
As these records usually already exist in DNS, the only effect is
a serial number increase and NOTIFYs to the slaves.

Note that the DCs must have self-registration enabled.  If you
disable self-registration, then the DC will not register the SRV
records.  But you will get a 5782 event log entry every two (one?)
hours:

         Dynamic Registration or deregistration of one or more
         DNS records failed with the following error:
         No DNS servers configured for local system.

Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov