rootservers

Russell Foster rf at rf0.com
Mon Jul 9 06:57:12 UTC 2001

Hello,

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, batman decided to mutter to the world in general:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know wich rootserver holds the .nl toplevel domains,
>
> i mean i am not a dns wizard, i just like to know how the basics of dns
> work.

[rghf at kosh rghf]$ dig nl

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nl.                     2h58m1s IN SOA
ns.domain-registry.nl. hostmaster.domain-registry.nl. (
                                        200107090       ; serial
                                        8H              ; refresh
                                        4H              ; retry
                                        4w2d            ; expiry
                                        4D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 3 msec

So .nl is held on ns.domain-registry.nl

> I read that a whois database is seperate database that is not accurate in
> giving the real domain info.)
>
> for example i registered domain www.auto-matic.nl
> and the whois database (www.nic.nl/bestaat.lp) is reporting that the
> nameservers are NS3.ZONEEDIT.COM
> NS5.ZONEEDIT.COM
>
> but i think the rootserver still holds the NXS.NL nameservers...

Well it might of at the time you wrote this but now it is
ns[35].zoneedit.com

[rghf at kosh rghf]$ dig @ns.domain-registry.nl auto-matic.nl ns

;; ANSWER SECTION:
auto-matic.nl.          4D IN NS        ns3.zoneedit.com.
auto-matic.nl.          4D IN NS        ns5.zoneedit.com.

Rus