Trying to setup a new primary BIND DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jul 9 21:59:01 UTC 2001

In article <9id911$jme at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Klinkefus, David S <DSKlinkefus at midamerican.com> wrote:
>I agree with Barry, but with a few nslookup's, from here
>it looks like there is no reverse entry (PTR record) for
>ns.quadtrax.net.

ns.quadtrax.net's address is 216.216.115.27, and the following reverse
entry exists for that address:

27.115.216.216.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR  www.quadtrax.com.

This isn't quite right because www.quadtrax.com is a CNAME record, not an A
record.  But I doubt that would cause any problems.

BTW, nothing except the nslookup command even cares if there's a reverse
entry for a nameserver's address.  And even nslookup doesn't care whether
the reverse entry points back to the name in the NS record.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA