Trying to setup a new primary BIND DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jul 9 22:59:49 UTC 2001

In article <9idc3t$k3q at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Dan Du Vall <sysop at quadtrax.com> wrote:
>Ok Here is what i have done since I am totaly screwup with this thing I have
>set the bind server back to a cache server the way it was after instaling
>redhat 7. What is the first thing i need to do?

You need to create a DB file for your domain.  It should look something
like:

$TTL 1D
@ IN SOA ns.quadtrax.net. sysop.quadtrax.com. (
         2001070901 ; Serial
	 1H ; Refresh
         1H ; Retry
         1W ; Expire
         1H ) ; NegCache TTL
  IN NS ns.quadtrax.net.
  IN MX 10 mail.quadtrax.net.
www IN A 1.2.3.4
mail IN A 1.2.3.4

Replace the 1.2.3.4's with appropriate IP addresses for these servers.  Add
additional A records for other services.  Name this file db.quadtrax.net.

Then you need to add a "zone" entry to the named.conf file to tell it to
read this DB file:

zone "quadtrax.net" {
  type master;
  file "db.quadtrax.net";