TTL

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 10 15:44:02 UTC 2001

In article <9if6sk$2l0 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Mike Jimenez <mike at vpi.net> wrote:
>I got a question about TTL What should the time setting be for this?

That's for you to decide.  It controls how long clients may continue to see
old records after you've made a change.

If you generally know ahead of time that you're going to be making a
change, you can set the TTL to 1 day.  At least a day before you make the
change, lower it to an hour, so that the old value won't stick around long
after the change.  Once you're happy with the new value, restore the TTL
back to 1 day.

>Also what is the correct config? Do I need both of these settings or can I
>just use one and what does the 3600 represent minutes, hours?

If you don't put a suffix like H (for hours), D (for days), etc. then it's
seconds.  3600 seconds is 1 hour.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA