Incomplete zone transfers, ISC BIND 8.2 on NT

Sam Norris sam at ChangeIP.com
Wed Jul 11 07:16:36 UTC 2001

I posted a previous thread about this exact problem.  I am also having about 1200-1400 records transfer and then it just stops.  Complains about an invalid name, although nothing is wrong.  The zone file is coming from another BIND 8.2.3 server (NT) that loads it fine so obviously it isn't a name problem (check-names is set to alarm on bad names).  It just wont hand it out to someone else completely.  I've tried increasing the memory size on the master and still get the exact same problem.  Whats interesting is that you can get a successful transfer about 1 out of 100 tries.  Very odd.  You can use the ls -d zone command from within NSLOOKUP or the DIG counterpart and see the error.  The debug logs also show that there is an invalid name - but why would 1 out of 100 or more transfer without problems?

I just got done testing the zone transfers from a BIND 8.2.3 running on Debian.  No problems.  I used the exact same named.conf and it worked like a charm.  Something is wrong with zone transfers on NT 8.2.3 & 8.2.4.

Sam

Tony Milton wrote:

> I have tried most versions of ISC 8.2 on NT, including 8.2.5-T1A, and
> have found that zone transfers only transfer about 1200 records.
> According to debug at the server end the transfer completes normally
> (all records are present in the debug listing), at the client end the
> transfer terminates early and always in the same place for any given
> zone. I have tried a few zones all of which I transfer from production
> 8.2.2 servers (UNIX and NT NetID) on to my test (ISC BIND) servers and
> get the same results. Any ideas?

    Did you look at the logs on the master?  It could be running out of
memory.
You would need to increase the page/swap file on the master and try again.

If you still get the same result, try 8.2.3 on NT. If you use dig with
axfr do all
the records transfer?  Did you try running named-xfer yourself from the
command line?

    Danny