Trying to understand SRV records

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Wed Jul 11 12:41:44 UTC 2001

Hi everyone especially Kevin and Cricket,
I need to get up to speed with SRVs pretty quickly.

The first problem I have is that Cricket shows an example (p517 4th ed):
     _http._tcp.www.movie.edu.     IN SRV  ..........
Now RFC 2782 says this about the service name:
     If Assigned Numbers names the service indicated, that name is the only
name which is legal for SRV lookups.
But RFC1700 says:
     www-http         80/tcp    World Wide Web HTTP
     www-http         80/udp    World Wide Web HTTP
Has Cricket got his example wrong?

Also does this rule from RFC2782 include registered as well as well-known
ports?  Several of the well-known ports (sql*net 66/tcp; z39.50 210/tcp;
914c/g 211/tcp) have service names including dots, asterisks and slashes.
There is at least one of the registered ports (intuitive edge 1355/tcp)
with a name including a space (a bit like my name really :-) Do you see any
problems with these sorts of names should they start to use SRV?

TIA
Marc Thach Xuan Ky
marc.thach at radianz.com

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments contain information that
may be confidential.  Unless you are the named addressee (or authorized to
receive for the named addressee) you may not read, copy, distribute,
disclose or otherwise use this information for any purpose.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately
by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system.  While we
make every effort to keep our network free from viruses, you do need to
check this e-mail (and any attachments) for viruses, as we take no
responsibility for any virus transferred by this e-mail.