issue Windows2000 DNS - Bind 4

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jul 11 14:46:18 UTC 2001

In article <9iev05$rh at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Barry Finkel  <b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov> wrote:
>One thing I did not mention in my recent postings on this subject --
>The MS default expire value in the SOA is 86400 (1D).  So after

Yes, that's another thing that I'm really annoyed at MS about.

We run a script every day that scans all our slave zone files looking for
expire times of 1 day or less, and notify the customer that they should
increase it to at least 7 days.  While it's true that the short expire time
makes the serial number problem less of an issue, it causes other problems.
It's not uncommon for a master server or its Internet connection to go down
for more than a day, and we don't want the slave servers to expire the
zones so quickly.  7-day expire time provides plenty of time for the
customer to fix their server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA