New User confused -- big time.

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jul 13 00:12:06 UTC 2001

At 3:18 PM -0700 7/12/01, jamby wrote:

>  	I am hosting my own web site from a machine at my home. Uswest is
>  handling the dns for me, forward and reverse and supplying the ISDN
>  line and static ips. But now I want to add more sites to the machine
>  that is serving up my current site and Uswest only offers one domain
>  per account Duh.

	Not a problem.

>                                                         I can have the
>  interface card on the machine answer for more than one ip address. And
>  Apache will happily run virtual hosts on each or multiples on each ip
>  addr. But I have to host my own DNS server.

	You don't need to set up multiple IP addresses.  Indeed, you
don't even need to set up your own nameserver.  Find someone that is
willing to give you free nameservice, and register your domains with
your registrar of choice (try "dotster") pointing to their
nameservers.

	If you want to go ahead and set up your own nameserver, then
register your static IP address with your registrar of choice (using
whatever name you like), and then register domains pointing to it as
the primary nameserver.  You should also find someone to provide
secondary DNS for you, and again there are plenty of places that will
do that (try secondary.com).

	Either way, once you've got the DNS set up, use Apache with
name-based virtual hosting, and you don't need multiple IP addresses
at all.

>  Q1. big picture.
>     do I need to register my dns server with some register service
>  (network-solutions) just like a domain name?

	You register the host that will be serving the domain(s) first.
Then you register the domain(s) and point them at that host.

>  Q2. not so big
>     Am I at the right place?

	Good enough.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */