QIP in large installation

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Fri Jul 13 01:00:53 UTC 2001

	The company I currently work for uses QIP.  The current
	database has ~6500000 objects in it, so about a total
	of 1.3million DNS records (forward/reverse).  See my
	comments on each of your requirements:

> 1) DNS servers which are compatable with ISC 8.X

	We use ISC BIND, rather than the QIP BIND that ships
	with QIP.  We had problems with that daemon.  I do
	not know if it has gotten better or not, but once burned....

	That being said, QIP operates fine, even if you don't run
	their version of BIND.

> 2) Reporting of % fill of networks

	It can do this.

> 3) Batch import of addresses

	It can do this.

> 4) Batch deletion of addresses

	It can do this.

> 5) Solaris support

	It can do this, although I am not sure if Solaris 8 is
	a supported platform yet.

> 6) Scalable solution, starting at 2 million addresses and moving to 5
> million over next couple of years.

	QIP 5.2 has a lot more managability features, from a
	strictly cosmetic perspective.  QIP 6 is supposed to have
	even more, and is due out 4th quarter I believe.  I have
	not worked with an environment this large with QIP, but
	would expect that it would hold up ok.

-Tim