Does "@" in CNAME record not work?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jul 13 06:42:42 UTC 2001

At 2:32 AM +0000 7/13/01, Jim Lum wrote:

>  Then, as I read the book, I ran across the section that I cited above,
>  which I took (and which I guess I still take) to imply that, in a
>  "correct" DBxxx.. file, you should TRY to avoid having names with the
>  same IP address.  I've read those two paragraphs (bottom of pg. 64, top
>  of pg. 65) over several times, and I THINK that's what it's trying to
>  say?

	Myself, I wouldn't worry too much about this issue.  Yes, if you
go to change the IP address of the machine, this means that you'll
need to make the same change in multiple places.

>  Perhaps this is more of a "theoretical exercise".  But, what I seem to
>  have ended up with seems like somewhat of a conundrum, i.e., that if
>  mydomain.com and ns1.mydomain.com both happen to have the same IP
>  address, and if I'm to configure a "completely correct" DBxxx.. file (at
>  least according to the book), there is no way to do this?

	Use the same IP address for multiple records, as has been shown
here.  It really is the only way to get this to work.  If you want to
minimize the number of different records that share the same IP
address, then use CNAMEs for things like "mail.yourdomain.com",
"www.yourdomain.com", etc... and use IP addresses for the apex of
"yourdomain.com" itself and "ns1.yourdomain.com".

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */