pronunciation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 13 16:18:51 UTC 2001

Will Yardley wrote:

> ok so perhaps this is a dumb question, but what is the correct way to
> _pronounce_ in-addr.arpa. - does one say it 'internet address dot arpa' or
> 'in adder arpa' or what?
>
> is there a convention, or is this like fsck or etc (ie everyone pronounces it
> differently).

I think most people say "in adder" for the first label, i.e. omitting "dash".
Tastes differ on whether or not to pronounce the "dot" or not. While I usually
insist on pronouncing all "dot"s in domain names, I make an exception for
in-addr.arpa and pronounce it just "in adder arpa". Rolls off the tongue more
easily like that (at least, it does for a native American/English speaker,
I imagine native speakers of other languages, where "r" is enunciated further
back in the throat, or rolled, it might not be so easy to say).

Unfortunately, not pronouncing the "dot" means that some ignorami hear RARP in
the term and think that somehow reverse DNS and RARP are connected in some
way...