DNS and NAME BASED APACHE

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Sun Jul 15 13:19:12 UTC 2001

On 14 Jul 2001, D. Birchall wrote:

> You can just set the same A record for all the hosts.  For example:
>
> $ORIGIN com.
> example		IN	A	10.1.2.3
> $ORIGIN org.
> example		IN	A	10.1.2.3
> $ORIGIN example.com.
> www		IN	A	10.1.2.3
> $ORIGIN example.org.
> www		IN	A	10.1.2.3
>
> Now, there's the possibility that using CNAMES would be better, and
> if that's the case, I'm sure someone with more experience will post
> correcting me... ;)

Either way works fine, but I use CNAMES because it just seems cleaner to
me not to have a bunch of A records pointing directly at the same address.
Here's an example:

In the zone file for the hosting domain (let's say hostdomain.com):

  virthost  IN  A  10.1.2.3

And in the zone file for 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa:

  3  IN  PTR  virthost.hostdomain.com.

In the zone file for each of the hosted domains:

  www  IN  CNAME  virthosts.hostdomain.com.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)             E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services        Phone:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services   FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, MD 21204  USA