clients don't pass FQDN..

Hannah O Day hoyoung at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 16 13:35:01 UTC 2001

I have two dhcp servers that are running on IBM AIX 4.3.3.  Both dhcp
servers are doing both A and PTR updates to a ddns server.  The problem I
have now is with clients who don't pass the FQDN to the dhcp server.  When
this happens, the dhcp servers are continuously trying to update the
clients (sometime up to 4 minutes).  When this happens, the dhcpsd daemon
appears to be dead..no other clients can get an address.  My questions are:

a. Is this anyway to modify the dhcp server configuration or the dhcpaction
script to deny updates to these clients so that dhcp server won't keep
trying?
b. I have "appenddomain yes" configured in the dhcp server, why won't these
clients accept the domain my server append to them?
c. Does anyone know if there is a Microsoft doc that describe their client
problems similar to this?

Thanks!

Hannah