Naming my nameserver

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 17 14:02:47 UTC 2001

In article <9j02jr$a8c at pub3.rc.vix.com>, David <websurf at shaka.com> wrote:
>How do I name my nameserver?  I want to be able to call it
>ns.myserver.com with my registrar.

You can name your nameserver whatever you want.  Some things work a little
better if the name you register and put in NS records is the same as the
one that "hostname" shows -- this allows the server to detect more easily
when a domain is delegated to itself.

>Do I simply list it as an alternative in /etc/hosts?

DNS doesn't care about /etc/hosts.  You should include it as an A record in
the myserver.com domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA