One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 17 21:34:42 UTC 2001

Jim Reid wrote:

>     djb> BIND company employee Jim Reid writes:
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Grow up, Dan!
>
>     >> if you think you can design and document better protocols than
>     >> AXFR and IXFR
>
>     djb> I don't have to. Other people have done the work already.
>
> Where? Which RFCs document them? Please tell me. Did I miss a meeting
> when the DNS protocols changed?
>
>     djb> As my table shows, AXFR and IXFR are amazingly far behind the
>     djb> state of the art in replication tools.
>
> To the best of my knowledge none of these replication tools have
> surfaced as internet drafts at the IETF. I have asked you on several
> occasions to write up such a draft. You have repeatedly failed to do
> so and explain why you can't or won't do that. If you care so much for
> these better mechanisms, why can't you put them forward at IETF, the
> only place they can be developed as Internet standards? Remember the
> proverb "it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness"?
> Whining about the deficiencies of AXFR and IXFR is not going to
> achieve anything. Other than venting bile. Go on, be a pal. Light a
> candle for these better replication mechanisms. You might even get
> support for them from the engineers at "the BIND company" that you
> seem to dislike so much. Or is that a risk you're unwilling to take?

I'll have to side with Dan here, Jim. Things like rsync and ssh are "out of
band" with respect to DNS. The DNS protocol specifications say that it is
permissible to load zone data from a file, and that's as much as it *needs* to
say, in that respect. rsync is just a way of synchronizing files between
different systems. rsync doesn't need to be an Internet Standard any more than
"vi" or "emacs" needs to be an Internet Standard, if that's what you happen to
use to keep your zone files up to date...