I tried to nuke the spam... but committed criminal censorship instead

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jul 17 23:41:52 UTC 2001

At 2:06 PM -0600 7/17/01, _Lilith_ wrote:

>>  What if everyone used someone else's DNS? That would be anarchy!
>
>  No, it would be the way the www works,

	It depends on how you define "using someone else's DNS".  If you
define that to be setting up your own authoritative server (and
registering it), and then listing other servers which happen to also
be caching but who have not chosen to be secondaries of yours, and
then you go out and periodically re-query those machines so that they
keep their caches fresh, then yes -- this would most definitely be
abuse and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

>                                         and even the most massive load on
>  a DNS server can be handles by feeble, 1st generation 386 machines,

	This is most certainly not true.  Many large sites have enough of
a DNS load that they need some pretty honking-big nameservers, so
that they can handle on the order of thousands of authoritative
non-recursive DNS queries per second.  Certainly the root nameservers
handle thousands of DNS queries per second, and a 386-class machine
couldn't come anywhere remotely close to handling that kind of load.

>  Hell, Paul Vixie runs one of the root name servers, F,
>    F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET 39.13.229.241
>  and it's some lowly old Sparc 2, and it's on of the busiest
>  root namesrvers on the planet.

	I don't know for sure what hardware this machine runs on, but my
understanding was that it was replaced a while back with something
that can actually handle thousands of DNS queries per second.

	Moreover, the busiest root nameserver by far is
a.root-servers.net, because of various stupid misconfiguration
problems in various nameserver implementations in the world.  Most of
the other root nameservers tend to have about half the
query-per-second load of a.root-servers.net.

>  Only a newbie idiot would place a valid email address/bait into
>  a usenet posting these days, with all the email harvesting spammers,
>  hackers, losers, psycho cabal cancellers, larting whiners, etc.

	Please don't use garbage return addresses.  The newsgroup you
posted this message to is gatewayed to a mailing list, and having
this garbage in your address is anti-social and makes it more
difficult for people to reply to you with the kind of information
you've requested.

	Moreover, all address scanning tools I know of are intelligent
enough to remove all "NOSPAM" and other types of garbage return
addresses I've ever seen, so it doesn't do any good anyway.

	However, if you are going to post with an invalid address, please
at least do so according to the RFCs, and use an FQDN in the
".invalid" gTLD.

	If you do that, you should also PGP sign your postings, so that
we can have a reasonably verifiable trace as to who actually posted
the message in question -- even if we can't trace the messages back
to the same person, we can at least be sure that the message was
actually legitimately written by the same _Lilith_ that we've seen

>  Only a fool like you thinks a usenet posting is some invitation to
>  personally contact the author via email, and that type of privacy abuse
>  is why no learned poster uses valid email in usenet postings.

	For one, this is not just a newsgroup.  This is also a mailing
list.  On mailing lists, it is common practice to use a real e-mail
address, so that people can respond back to you directly (if they so
choose).

	Secondly, all this bullshit about what "learned posters" do is
just that -- bullshit.  Anyone who's been on the 'net for seventeen
years (as I have) knows that there are no such rules anywhere
remotely close to what you claim.

	All the rest of your post is such childish drivel that I won't
even bother to quote or respond to any of it.  Indeed, there is
sufficient moronic name-calling contained herein that I have now
plonked you.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */