One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jul 19 00:25:58 UTC 2001

In article <9j56g6$ifg at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

>At 5:31 PM +0100 7/18/01, Marc.Thach at radianz.com wrote:
>
>>  Are you implying anycast addressing between the server farms?  If so, then
>>  persistent connections to those servers will be vulnerable to routing
>>  changes outside the control of the client or the server.
>
>	This is no change from what would happen if you had been given a
>particular IP address to access, and then the routing tables changed
>underneath you when you were in the middle of accessing the
>appropriate port on that address.

No it isn't.  The new routing table would still get you to the same server,
just via a different path.  The TCP layer wouldn't notice anything except a
short delay while waiting for routing to stabilize.

With an anycasting system, the IP address could suddenly be redirected to a
totally different server farm, because the routing table now makes that
farm seem closer.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA