BIND9.2.0a2 Source Code

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jul 19 09:45:26 UTC 2001

At 4:24 PM +0530 7/19/01, Vaishali Paithankar wrote:

>  i.e. if we updated our SRV records frequently, DNS will also have to load
>  its zones with the same frequency ?

	Yup.

>  Or can't we load only SRV records or the information that has changed
>  e.g. only the metrics in the SRV record ?

	Nope.

	This kind of thing does not belong in the DNS.  If you want to do
load balancing, you should do it with mechanisms that do not involve
the DNS.

	At the first level, you can put a Layer Four (L4) load-balancing
switch in front of the servers to be balanced, and the switch will
use any of several different methods (none of which depend on the
DNS) to determine which server is the "least loaded" and therefore
should be the one to handle a particular incoming connection.

	See the archives of the load-balancing mailing list at
<http://www.vegan.net/lb/> for more information.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */