BIND and a URL redirection & cloaking feature.

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 15:21:48 UTC 2001

Geoffrey Toogood wrote:

> Does the BIND package have a feature where you can redirect foo.bar.com to
> another URL like some.isp.com/~userpage. By "cloaking" I mean that I have
> seen some setups where the foo.bar.com URL remains in the browser address
> bar while the user surfs some.isp.com/~userpage. I know it is possible but I
> don't know if it is the DNS or some other funky software that performs this
> task.

Sounds like someone using frames. It is possible to make a
frame the size of the full browser display area, and put any
other web page in it. It doesn't work with all browsers
mind.

Other things/ways...

Meta tag http-requiv="refresh" will rewrite the URL in the
browser, but will redirect almost(?) all browsers.

DNS can point many domain names at one web server, but the
server still needs to know it is serving that domain. But
anything that comes after that "/" in the URL is nothing to
do with BIND AFAIK (Caveat concerning "@" and other
interesting URL features aside).

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com