PROBLEM with MX extern

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jul 19 20:48:29 UTC 2001

In article <9j7em9$94t at pub3.rc.vix.com>, vid  <vid at goliathet.net> wrote:
>Now i must change the domain in this machine to another, and i've
>changed i've
>put in RR this :
>
>IN      SOA     a.domain.es.  sist.a.domain.es. (
>                          2001031333      ; serial
>                          8640            ; refresh (1 day)
>                          720             ; retry (2 hours)
>                          259200          ; expire (30 days)
>                          17280    )      ; minimum (2 days)

All the times in those comments are wrong.  It looks like you've removed
the last 0 in each of the times.  1 day is 86400, not 8640; 2 hours is
7200, not 720; and so on.

>                  IN      NS      a.domain.es.
>                  IN      NS      b.domain.net.
>
>-->                  IN      MX      10 mail.b-domain.com.  <-- I'VE
>CHANGED THIS !!
>
>  mail            IN      CNAME   correo.b-domain.com.
>  correo         IN      A       213.98.22.94
>

>and i've restarted sendmail to view that this domain is not in this
>machine ;when restart named
>appears this error message in the log  :

What was the TTL of the old MX record?  Until it times out, caching servers
will still have that record.

>and when  exectue "nslookup domain.es."
>
>*** localhost can't find domain.es :Non-existent host/domain

Unless you tell it to look up a different type, nslookup looks for an A
record, not an MX record.  You don't have an A record for domain.es in the
example above.

>what's happening ?, can anybody help me please ?,
>what am i doing bad ?

We could help even more if you told us the real domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA